Saturday, September 18, 2010

Some Culture

It is all starting to get easier! Thank goodness! This last month has been one of the most difficult ones I have ever lived through. Sure, this is the 19th country I have arrived in during my 22 years of life, but I have never tried to work in a different country or learn another language. I think I underestimated how challenging it would be. Thankfully, things are now starting to get easier! I am starting to understand more and more Spanish, I am finally gaining more responsibility at school, and overall I am just feeling more comfortable in my surroundings.


Costa Rican’s celebrate everything, and I love it! Last Thursday was Dia los Ninos, or Children’s Day. I work in a private Catholic school, and the children are required to wear uniforms. However, because this was their special day all my students were allowed to dress up in costumes! It was strange to see them out of their uniforms, but they looked so adorable! The school hired clowns to come in and they did a big performance for the children. There was even fire!

(One of my classrooms. It was decorated for Independence Day!)

Fire in the gym!


Aren't they just the cutest?!




This last weekend we headed to the Caribbean Coast! We traveled to beautiful Puerto Viejo. My friend Kelly from Winona is staying in another house about two blocks away. We traveled to the beach with her host Mama Flor, and Flor’s niece and son. It was a blast! We left at 5 am on Saturday, and made our way through the curvy mountains to the beach. We spent all of Saturday playing in the clear blue water and basking in the beautiful sun. Then, that night had a huge barbeque and went to a reage concert and danced the night away. On Sunday, we moved to a resort right on the beach and had a bonfire just steps away from the Caribbean. It was magical. We even taught the Costa Ricans how to roast hotdogs and make smores. I made a stick for roasting hotdogs out of a palm branch, but sadly it didn’t work too efficiently. On Monday we took a bike ride to a neighboring town and explored their beautiful beaches. I would like to say this was an enjoyable ride, but my bike tire was completely flat and I was pretty winded by the time we were done. All and all, a FANTASTIC weekend though!

Sarah and I playing in the water!


An adorable Costa Rican/American baby we played with on the beach!


I am looking for life, love, and laughter :-)


I didn't want to ever leave!


Wednesday, was Costa Rica’s Independence Day. Amber and I went to watch the parade our school was in. It was a wonderfully enriching cultural experience. There were lots of high schools from around the area. Some students performed dances in the parade, while other schools brought their bands. We thought it was interesting that the bands just consisted of drums and xylophones.

All dressed up for Independence Day!


Dancing at the parade!


My school!




Baseball in Costa Rica!

By the way, EMAIL ME!!! I love hearing from people back home, and I am not going to lie some of you have REALLY been slacking! And remember to live compassionately!

No comments:

Post a Comment